Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Penang State-level CNY Celebration 2011 (Part 2)






Date: 12th Feb 2011 (Saturday)
Time: 4pm onwards
Venue: Heritage enclave, George Town


Previously in a posting for 'shutterspeed' in Facebook, I mentioned a walk down memory lane. It was a feeling of nostalgia that suddenly swept through me; I could not really explain why.

The nostalgia returned on this occasion, as I traced my steps from last year's celebration to this year's State-level Chinese New Year celebration. Photographically speaking, it was a bit of a challenge to shoot the same event two years in a row from a slightly different perspective and at at the same time, still communicating the emotions of the occasion.

I am glad this year's theme was focused on reliving the good old days of George Town and of course, the vibrancy of our different cultures. While certain parts of our cultures were on display on stage, young students took to the streets to portray the lifestyle of our elders from the past. From local coolies at the harbour to the womenfolk selling sugar canes (and many other re-enactments), at times I felt like I was walking through a time tunnel. The rain did come and made things a bit difficult for visitors to meander through the crowd, but I believe the rain did not dampen anyone's spirit.


I was excited to be a part of the crowd, and I am proud to share with you what I saw through my lens on that day. It was indeed a walk worth taking and reliving!

No comments: