Friday, December 3, 2010

Air Supply's Love Never Ends World Tour


















Date: 16th Nov 2010

Time: 8.30pm

Venue: Penang International Sports Arena (PISA)


Photographer's Notes:


I used 2 cameras for this assignment, with the 70-200mm f/2.8 at one body and the 17-50mm f/2.8 at the other. The range for the 70-200mm was just about right for some intimate shots of Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock, while the wide angle allowed me to capture both performers in their signature move in a single frame.




Prior to the show, the house rules were set: shooting was allowed only for the first 4 songs and it's make or break time, especially when you've been commissioned to deliver the images. To be honest, I had expected that (the song limit rule), since most international acts implement this policy.




One thing that I was thankful for was the amount of stage lights and their different hues throughout the show. It was a joy to capture but of course, as in any photo assignment, nothing is ever easy. The lights, amazing as they were, were constantly changing and thus creating some challenges to expose the images. I usually shoot in Manual mode, and this particular gig got me changing my dials quite often.




I felt the duo of Air Supply gave a good performance; I especially liked Graham Russell who was the chattier of the two and constantly engaged the audience with his banter. Mr. Hitchcock, on the other hand, let his singing do the talking (or was it the other way round?) :O) The men played their greatest hits and aptly saved their 'Goodbye' as they obliged their adoring fans with an encore.




Well, it was one of those evenings where you feel a little bit nostalgic - as a fan, I am familiar with their hits and there I was, having the privilege to document this moment. At the end of the show, my thighs were trembling from the constant squat positions we had to employ as we were just shooting below the stage.




It was indeed one good tremble, and as I write this, the songs from the night still echo in my heart.




No comments: